Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Fourth Commandment



We’ve been working with our kids on showing respect.   Especially since our oldest has started school, we seem to have more “No”s being said in our house.  My husband and I have repeatedly reminded our children of the Fourth Commandment in which God tells us to honor our parents and others in authority.
It’s a hard job for all of us, isn’t it?  I remember my first real fight with my dad.  It happened just before I left for college.  I signed up for a credit card over the phone.  Back then, we didn’t have to worry as much about identity theft.  I thought it was a good idea for emergencies.  My dad was upset that I hadn’t consulted him.  And, since I felt like and adult, I yelled at him.  I still regret how angry I was with my dad.  Fortunately, my parents had instilled in me a responsibility with money and I didn’t get into trouble with my credit card in college.
Even though I don’t think I’ve had a hard time honoring and respecting my parents lately (let me know if I’m wrong, Mom and Dad), I still struggle with the Fourth Commandment.  God tells us to honor those in authority.  It’s that simple.
Do I honor the authority when I speed, even just to keep up with traffic?  Do I honor authority when I complain about the taxes I have to pay?  What kind of an example do I set for my children?
Where I live I have seen many people struggling to honor authority this past month.  People are frustrated with the Government, with our President and with our elected leaders.  As citizens of a democracy we have the right to be frustrated and to voice our frustration.  But I have heard and read people’s frustration growing into disrespect.  They are not honoring the people God has put over us as our leaders by their words and actions.
As a citizen, I am equally frustrated by the choices made by the government officials.  But that does not give me the license to call those people names or to belittle them.
So what should I do?
First and foremost, I can pray.  And I have been.  I pray regularly for our government, for our President and for the people we have elected to make decisions for us.  And I thank God for the blessing I have to live in a democratic society.  Secondly, as I voice my opinion and my concern for the government, I can use respectful language.  And, finally, I can educate myself and be prepared to vote in a way that shows my concern for the government.
I ask you, my fellow Americans, to remember the Fourth Commandment as you live your lives as citizens of this nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment