Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Price

We recently celebrated Memorial Day, a day to remember the men and women who gave their lives in service to our country. My husband shared a photo with me that showed the numbers of people who died in combat during the different wars our country has been involved in. It was humbling to see how many people loved this country so much that they would be willing to sacrifice their lives in service.
I also saw many Facebook posts that said, "Land of the Free because of the Brave." How true. And again, how humbling. Men and women have paid the ultimate price to give me freedom. How can I every say thank you? The words are not enough compared to the gift given.
When I was in grade school, a popular song claimed "more than words" was all the singer needed to know his girlfriend loved him. The same is true here. My actions in response to the gift of freedom go miles beyond the words "thank you." I can show respect for our country and its leaders, teach my children to do the same, and show respect to the people that our brave soldiers died for.
As a Christian, I can do so much more. Galatians 5:13 instructs me. "You my brothers and sisters were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love."
I am thankful for the sacrifice soldiers have made for our country. This gives me more freedom to live my Christian life openly. But it is only because of Jesus' sacrifice that I am able to have true freedom. Freedom from the burden of sin fills my heart with the love of Jesus so I can serve others humbly.
Humble service looks different for every person called by Jesus. For me, humble service means fulfilling my responsibilities at home-cleaning, cooking, caring for children-without expecting my kids' or my husbands' constant praise. It means showing patience with the people around me when I am out running errands. It means joyfully praising God with the members of our church's worship team. It means letting Jesus shine through in all the other parts of my life, too.
Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the sacrifice of the men and women of military. Thank you for their families' sacrifice. Thank you most for Jesus' sacrifice for me. You have created us all to humbly serve you. Forgive me for the times I seek my own glory. Please let Jesus shine through me today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment