Sunday, March 17, 2013

Whose kids are those, anyway?



This morning, as we were being ushered out of church, my two oldest decided to high-five as many passing people as possible.  As church had gone well over an hour, I gave them some leeway in their behavior, allowing them to actually step into the aisle.  Being kids, they took full advantage.  As they proceeded to push further and further toward the front, my husband whispered, “Whose kids are those, anyway?”
Indeed.  About once a week, I feel like asking that question as I try to find the words to apologize for my children’s apparently rude behavior.  Of course, they are still kids and are trying to learn how to behave respectfully and politely toward their parents, other adults and their peers.
However, at times like these, I am often reminded of some advice that my Dad gave my Mom early on in their parenting career.  She wasn’t mortified by our behavior, but was worried about how sick one of us was.  My Dad told her that we aren’t really their kids.  We’re on loan from God—we’re really his children.
Approaching parenting from that perspective keeps me mindful of my practices as a parent.  Am I enforcing a nap for the good of my kids or so I can have some peace and quiet?  Do I skip Bible story time because they are so tired or do I keep them up for an extra five minutes so they can hear God’s word.  Do I remember to pray with them and for them morning, noon and night? 
These are just a few of my more recent struggles as a parent.  I am sure, however, that many more dilemmas will come my way as they grow.  And yet, I can be confident that I will make the right decision.  Not because I had such a fine example or because I’m learning how to be a better parent.  I know that the decisions I make will be the right ones as long as I ask God to lead me to the right choices and then bless them.  After all, I’m raising his kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment